June Mathletics Master Class
We are excited to announce our June Mathletics Master Class recipient – Chauntel Ewert, Pod E teacher at Abbotsford Middle School located in British Columbia
School: Abbotsford Middle School
Teacher: Chauntel Ewert
We were impressed by Ms. Ewert’s dedication to stimulating student engagement by declaring Tuesdays and Thursdays as Mathletics Day. Setting a day for passing out certificates is motivating as students have a weekly reward to look forward to.
“My students were so excited about this program. They love competing against one another and to practice what they are learning in the classroom at home. Several of my students have made the Top 100 for Canada and our class has made the Top 50 several times. Every Tuesday and Thursday my students get the first 15 minutes of class to practice. As soon as they see the computers I can hear, “Yes…it is Mathletics day”. They can hardly wait for Tuesdays as that is when I pass out the certificates. ”
Ms. Ewert took rewarding a step further by getting medals engraved for each level: bronze, silver, and gold. Ever since implementing the medals, she has observed increased engagement and motivation in math.
“I decided to take it a step further and I had medals engraved for each level. As soon as one student was awarded their Bronze Level Medal they all wanted one. We have only been doing this for 6 months and I already have 45% of the students at a bronze level and several on their way to a silver level. When they receive this medal we go down to the front entrance of the school and I take their picture which is then posted in our classroom on our Mathletics Wall of Fame.”
Ms. Ewert’s students chimed in as well:
“I love Mathletics because I get to challenge myself.” – Sukhmeen
“The activities are great because you learn and practice so you can do good on your school work.” – Vicki
“I like the part where the activities get harder; it is helping me at school.” – Gurkirat
Thank you to Ms. Ewert for sharing!
Do you have a fun or creative way you integrate Mathletics into your class? If so, you could be a Mathletics Master Class of the Month too!
Become the Mathletics Master Class of the Month
Do you love using Mathletics into your classroom? Do you use it in fun and creative ways? We want to hear from our 21st century classrooms!
Every month, we will be featuring a new Mathletics Master Class and it could be you. We want to share with our global community, the exciting ways you incorporate Mathletics in your classroom. The Mathletics Master Class will be featured in our newsletter, here on our blog, as well as on Facebook and Twitter. We want our global community to know how you are inspiring our youth to LOVE LEARNING!
The Mathletics Master Class of the Month will get^:
- A feature in our monthly newsletter
- A blog post sharing how Mathletics is used in your classroom
- Social media promotion of your class and school
- Opportunity to create a ‘celebration day’ to be included in our popular monthly Mathletics calendars
- A special Mathletics trophy for your class (maximum 1 trophy per class)
- An entry in the grand prize draw at the end of the year
To enter, email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us:
- Subject line: Mathletics Master Class
- Your school, class and teacher name
- How long you’ve been using the program
- How you use Mathletics in your classroom. Be sure to include the following details:
- Share your engaging idea. Be sure to include how your fun and creative Mathletics ideas have impacted your classroom or school.
- Submit photos or videos of Mathletics being incorporated in your classroom or school ƚ
- *IDEA*: make this a shared writing activity with your students for a collaborative submission
All submissions will be reviewed by our Mathletics Marketing team and confirmation will be sent out prior to any information being published. Enter now for your chance to be the next Mathletics Master Class of the month.