Rich Learning Activities in Mathletics
We are happy to announce the addition of a new activity style to Primary Mathletics – rich learning activities. These activities include a variety of open-ended questions, problem solving, and reasoning tasks for Kindergarten, grades 1- 7. We are constantly updating and upgrading our functionality and content. Please stay tuned for more rich learning activities to come!
This new development showcases activities from Dr. Marian Small. Dr. Small is the former Dean of Education at the University of New Brunswick. She has been a professor of mathematics education for many years and is a regular speaker on K–12 mathematics throughout Canada and the US.
Accessing the rich learning activities in Mathletics
- Sign into Mathletics www.mathletics.ca with your username and password
- Once in the Teacher Console, select the icon ‘eBooks’
- Select the `Rich Tasks`tab on the far right hand side of the screen. The Dr. Marian Small activities are identified by the infinity sign ∞ on the cover of the ebook.
- Additionally, there are Dr. Marian Small activities included under Grades 1 – 5 tabs. Choose one of the grades – 1- 5 and look for the infinity sign ∞ on the cover of the ebook.
- Select the activity
- Click on the ebook of your choice – in the right hand box you will see additional options where you can access:
- The printable problem for the student
- The teacher notes
Stay tuned for more activities to come!
More about Dr. Marian Small
Dr. Small is the author of many resources, including:
- Making Math Meaningful for Canadian Students: K–8
- Big Ideas from Dr. Small: Grades 4–8; Big Ideas from Dr. Small: Grades K–3;
- Big Ideas from Dr. Small: Grades 9–12
- Good Questions: A Great Way to Differentiate Math Instruction K–8
- More Good Questions: A Great Way to Differentiate Secondary Math Instruction (for grades 6–12)
- Eyes on Math
- Leaps and Bounds for Grades 3–4, 5–6 and 7–8
- Uncomplicating Fractions
- You can identify Marian’s activities by her logo which will appear on the icon for each activity in the eBook section and at the start of each video.