Reading Eggs: Targeting Text
Targeting Text Interactively is a powerful series of teacher resources for teaching text types using an interactive whiteboard. The program is broken into 3 sections: Imaginative Texts; Informative Texts; and Persuasive Texts for Lower Primary; Middle Primary; and Upper Primary. Students will find the text samples refreshing and engaging as they learn to write well in a variety of genres.
Each text type section is broken into the following teaching segments:
- What is it? – Outlines the purpose and uses of the text type.
- Structure – Provides a general overview of a typical layout and headings.
- Example text – Features a model text with specific information regarding the language punctuation and structure features. The text is presented as a page-turning book with audio.
- Graphic organiser – A template for the text type is supplied as well as an example of how to use it.
- Scaffold – An outline for teachers to use on-screen or to distribute to students.
- Revision checklist – Created for each text type. This checklist provides a rubric for assessment as well as a useful tool for students.
- Interactive whiteboard activity – A fun way to reinforce elements of the lesson and interact with the whole class.
The program also contains an extensive Writer’s Toolkit section, which provides essential information on the five stages of writing as well as the Traits of Good Writing. The stages covered are:
- Proofreading and editing
1. Imaginative Text
Targeting Imaginative Writing contains the following 10 text types:
- Traditional Fairytales
- Cultural Folktales
- Modern Narratives
- Historical Narratives
- Dreaming Stories
- Dramatic Plays
- Science Fiction
2. Informative Text
Targeting Information Writing contains the following 10 text types:
- Diary/Journal entry
- Scientific report
- Travel guide
- News article
- Encyclopaedia entry
3. Persuasive Text
Targeting Persuasive Writing contains the following 10 text types:
- Letter to the Editor
- Review of Written Text
- Review of Visual Text
- Editorial Comment
- Protest Banner
- Personal Response